Monday, November 09, 2009

Google Wave Kinda Sucks

While I don't like to badmouth Google, as their stock has done very well for me over the past few months (search "Bing," and click the yellowish link, then close the window. repeat ad infinitum), Wave kinda sucks.

If you didn't know, Wave is kind of an email/social network service. You create a conversation, or "wave" with any number of friends...which due to wave still being under development with limited invites is very low, as if people who want me to be able to directly contact them arent't scarce enough. In this wave, anyone can edit the text in real time, add remarks, or add multimedia.

Is there some sort of desktop app for it or something? Now I have to check my gmail, my rugby email address, fantasy football, facebook, & wave? Why is it not just part of gmail?

And it fucking shows what you're typing in real time, which is by far the dumbest concept I've ever seen. I guess in like...a business setting it could be good if 50 people were editing one wave so you don't have everyone list the same thing at once, but christ, come on...how often is technology used for business, progress, or productivity? While constantly seeing people online could be confused as them using the interweb for something worthwhile, from the amount of links they send me during those hours, I am certain it is not.

Does everyone really need to know that I have no idea how to spell the vast majority of words I use, and often spend much longer than is appropriate for anyone my age, regardless of education, to spell "definitely," which always comes out as "definately," and I'm always confused as to why spellcheck doesn't recognize it, as if any letter in there is correct in my mind, that letter is the A.


But yeah...I'll be sending out invites when I get them...maybe it will be cooler if there's a ton of people "waving" or whatever the hell the verb for it is/will be. Knowing the amount of socially unacceptable filth that chain emails were obviously invented for carrying, maybe the live feed will be specfanfuckingtastacular.

No comments: