Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Lemme Upgrade Ya

I'm sick of companies trying to sell me guarantees on products/services. I was at the post office today, and after standing in a dense line while clerks complain about their job to the old people who must be in there every day because they have enough free time to not just buy a book of stamps and mail from home, they ask me if I would like to upgrade to priority mail, and if I would like to require a signature/notification of receipt.
To put it simply, I'm paying $1.17 for this envelope to be shipped from Lititz to Western Lancaster in a timely fashion. If I pay that money, USPS does that. Why should I pay extra money to make sure it gets done? If you can't do it properly for one dollar and seventeen cents, charge more for the flat rate.
It's as if I would come to you and say, "Hey, I'll build you a doghouse for $100." Then, after we agree upon that rate, I go: "Hey, I'll be sure to do a good job of it for $125."

Apple pulled the same stunt on me. Don't get me wrong I love my laptop and phone, but they offer extended warranties for extra money, which I can understand. However, I recently had an issue with the iPhone...I don't know what it was, it was working off and on, i took it to the Apple store and they replaced it, no questions asked....awesome, great customer service, iSatisfied. However, the warranty on the replacement phone is not one year from when it was issued, but from the date of the original purchase.
If you sell a product and guarentee it for a year and it fails, shouldn't the exact same product have the exact same warantee? To make it even worse, to make a selling point, they tell me that the $80 extended warranty transfers with the phone if I ever sell it...meaning they acknowledge the fact that a waranty goes along with an individual item, not along with the person who bought it.
It's as if I build you a doghouse and as I leave I say, "Yep, I did an extra good job on this one (thanks for the extra 25 bucks), if anything happens to it in the next year, gimme a call and i'll come fix it."
364 days later, you come out and the dog house is a pile of boards in the yard. You call me, I come out and explain that I must've gotten some faulty nails, no way I could have known that, but I'm a man of my word and I'll build a brand new one just like the old one. When you ask what if this one falls apart in 364 days....well, that's not my problem, I guarenteed that first one for one year, so if this one falls apart tomorrow, I'll fix it, but after that, I have no guarentees that the work I just did will last any longer.
....but for an extra 50 bucks, I promise it will last at least 3 more weeks...

Seriously, who is stupid enough to actually pay extra money to be sure what should've been done right the first time actually gets done? Sorry if you do spend extra money on these types of things, and if you're offended, send me 5 bucks and I'll write a personal appology post. Send me $20 and it will be sincere.

No comments: