Thursday, July 10, 2008

Patience is a virtue....

I made my latest impulse buy today (no, this isn't a post about the $6 tub I bought at walmart that should hold a keg so I no longer have to rent one. Or the GPS. Or the automatic shower cleaner thinger, which I've already been sprayed in the eyes because I wanted to see if it really does target corners...maybe I should ask about that trust fund.)
After driving back from the Trappe after being in Malvern monday, Malvern and back Tues, down Wednesday and back today, then realizing how hard it is to dig for change while keeping myself entertained while driving, and I came home and bought an EZ Pass online. Which brings me to my topic.
Is internet shopping truly an impulse buy? On one hand, it's the epitome of impulse. You get the urge and you don't even need to go anywhere, leave the house, or do anything. On the other, it lacks a key factor to impulse purchases: instant gratification. Now I have to wait an indiscriminate number of days until the EZ Pass arrives. Is it the spending of money that makes it an impulse buy, or receiving the goods that releases the impulse endorphins? Maybe internet shopping both gives you the thrill of buying something, followed by the anticipation of waiting for it to arrive. Whatever it is, I'm $300 richer due to the new iPhone only being sold in stores.

No comments: