Sunday, October 26, 2008

True Calling

Well, it turns out that my true calling in life has nothing to do with rugby, nor the Pabst Blue Ribbon Brewing company. My aunt and grandma were coming up to visit, which I hate. Visits from relatives have increased dramatically since Jacy came home, and as much as I like wasting two hours sitting around chatting about how I'm doing, I find it's easier to drive to a supermarket parking lot and read a book, make phone calls, play with the laptop, etc. than sit around insisting that I'm doing fine and explaining to every relative over and over that I will not be attending any sort of Thanksgiving this year so we can all sit around, shake our heads and talk about how strange it is without Jay and Jean around.
Anyway, sitting in parking lots isn't my true calling. While I was in the parking lot, my buddy Kurt called and said Kerri, his fiance, was at the house they're remodeling if I wanted to meet over there to do some painting as we had discussed earlier. I drover over to the house, opened the back door trying not to mess up the drop cloth, and hear that Kerri is upstairs washing brushes out in the sink. I went into the dark living room and hid around the corner from the stairs, figuring I would surprise her. She came down the stairs and turned the other way, and as I ran up behind her, she screamed.
Not a startled scream, but a "bloody-murder straight out of a cheap horror flick" scream. She was like a wounded cornered rabbit. I had no idea such a small human could produce that amount of noise.

I want to hear it again, so I may become a serial killer. Or at least invade some homes.

Side note: We later discussed that she knew I was there, and that the scream was just instinct as she knew it was me running up behind her. The real question is...was the terror a result of being snuck up on, or knowing that she would be alone with me for upwards of half an hour?

2 comments:

Lex Pelger said...

I too have tasted the sweet nectar of Kerri's fear. I don't think I can ever get enough.

BrewerDan23 said...

its the pabst brewing company not the pabst blue ribbon brewing company.